Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Windy City

This last weekend I took a break from college life and went to Chicago with my family for the weekend. At first this may seem like an exciting adventure, but to me it really isn't. I live in a Northwest Suburb of Chicago so I can go to Chicago pretty much whenever I like, so it ruins its special appeal that it may have for most of my readers. But that's alright because this time I was going with some of my family that I hadn't seen in a long time.

My cousins picked me up from Purdue on last Saturday and we traveled together to Chicago. Upon arriving at our hotel in Chicago, I immediately turned on the Michigan vs. Purdue game, and to see how I felt about that, feel free to read my last post!

That afternoon we went to see the show SPAMALOT which is a very, very funny play. It is based on the classic film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which is by far one of my favorite movies. The play is very random and humorous as well, it is a parody of the times of King Arthur and his round table. They make suggestions about how possibly maybe some of the knights of the round table weren't actually as noble as they are suggested to be. One of my favorite moments of the play is when the french guard taunts King Arthur when he is attempting to enter the castle because he is the "King of England". The french guard has many revolting sayings that he says back to him such as "I fart in your general direction". Definitly my favorite part of the play.

Moving on, that evening we all went to the performance of "Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind" by the neo-futurists. It is the longest running show in Chicago, and is an outlet for Graduate theater majors attempting to "get back at the world". I thoroughly enjoyed the performance, and it reminded me of how free-spirited some people can be. I don't know why but I feel like that at Purdue there isn't very many free spirited people.

The idea behind TMLMBGB is that the cast does 30 plays in 60 minutes. They are all written and directed by the cast. I really enjoyed the show. There were some acts that were humorous and some that we're very serious. One of the humorous ones were with these two girls and they were playing twister, and "Single Ladies" by Beyonce was playing in the background. They discussed about how their life as single ladies is the best thing ever, I'm not sure if they were being sarcastic or not, and then at the end one of the male actors came out of the crowd with his hand up and he said "I did put a fucking ring on it". It was hillarious because in the song Beyonce says "If you like it then you should've put a ring on it", many times.

The following afternoon my whole family and I went to Navy Pier. At Navy Pier they have an IMAX theater, and many different entertainment options. They also have Bubba Gump which is by far one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago. We went to the IMAX theater and saw The Dark Knight: The IMAX Experience. The best film of 2008, in my opinion, is amazing in the IMAX theaters, and I suggest that anyone who is a fan of the movie to see it in IMAX, it is a whole different, enchanced experience. After watching the three hour film we were all feeling pretty hungry, so we enjoyed Bubba Gump. Delicousness, to say the least.

It was my cousins and Aunts first time at Navy Pier, so we walked around alot and saw all of the other amusements that are availible to enjoy. Navy Pier is much more enjoyable in the summer though, because out on the pier are a few different amusement options ranging from a ferris wheel to small mineature rollar coasters.

This week am I lieing about: SPAMALOT, Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, or Navy Pier?

Currently listening to: "Right On Time" by O.A.R. from Album In Between Now and Then

1 comment:

  1. I like your stories. Even the fake ones. haha. Well, I am back again to attempt a repeat at last weeks victory. This one is a little more difficult....and although I love Monty Python...I'm going to say you didn't see Spamalot. *shrugs* No real reasoning this time, just a passing thought.
    I still enjoy your blog!
    Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete